Requiem
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Requiem

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Funny but sad...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bloodica
Admin
Bloodica

Funny but sad... Empty
PostSubject: Funny but sad...   Funny but sad... Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2008, 4:00 am

Wedding Woes: The Dark Side of Warcraft
Popular online PC game is causing marital discord.
By Mike Smith

Although best-selling online role-playing game World of Warcraft boasts over ten million subscribers, it's also leaving in its wake an increasing list of casualties.

Even though she's never played the game, 28 year-old Jocelyn is one of the fallen. A well-spoken California resident, she divorced her husband of six years after he developed a crippling addiction to the smash online RPG.

"He would get home from work at 6:00, start playing at 6:30, and he'd play until three a.m. Weekends were worse -- it was from morning straight through until the middle of the night," she told Yahoo! Games in an interview. "It took away all of our time that we spent together. I ceased to exist in his life."

Jocelyn had been friends with her ex-husband Peter since the age of 13, but it took only nine months for her marriage to collapse.

"I bought the game for him for Christmas 2004, when it first came out. By May we had our first serious discussion about where our marriage was going, and by September I had moved out," she said.

Jocelyn recalled one particular incident that was typical of Peter's habits. "I had set aside 30 minutes for us to watch a television show together, and he couldn't. He was stuck on a raid, and completely failed to understand why I was upset," she said.

Peter's domestic duties also suffered. He stopped paying bills, she says, and refused to do his share of the housework.

Jocelyn doesn't hesitate to cite Warcraft as the main reason for her divorce and remains emotional about its impact on her marriage. "I'm real, and you're giving me up for a fantasy land. You're destroying your life, your six-year marriage, and you're giving it up for something that isn't even real."

Despite their differences, the couple remains friends, and although Peter still plays World of Warcraft, Jocelyn says he made an effort to cut down after their split.

A gamer herself, Jocelyn briefly worked for World of Warcraft developer Blizzard Entertainment, although not on the title that proved so damaging to her relationship. "I recognized that this was a game that would never end, and that's why I chose not to play it," she said.

"They build it in such a way that you have to keep putting more and more time into it to maintain your status. I remember thinking when I was married that it was downright exploitative to people who couldn't control themselves in that way. It's set up like a drug."

Asked if she would consider marrying another Warcraft player, Jocelyn laughed. "That's actually one of my primary criteria now -- I don't want to marry someone who is a gamer."
Back to top Go down
https://requiem.forumakers.com
CANDYMAN

CANDYMAN

Funny but sad... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny but sad...   Funny but sad... Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2008, 4:12 am

yahoo post THIEF Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Amala

Funny but sad... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny but sad...   Funny but sad... Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2008, 5:55 am

Things would have been so much better if she would have just played too Cool
Back to top Go down
Doz

Funny but sad... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny but sad...   Funny but sad... Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2008, 7:33 am

either that really friggen old or they felt the need to write it again.

i read that like 2 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Bloodica
Admin
Bloodica

Funny but sad... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny but sad...   Funny but sad... Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2008, 7:40 am

i just saw it today on yahoo. i feel its kinda funny lol
Back to top Go down
https://requiem.forumakers.com
Gwendolen

Gwendolen

Funny but sad... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny but sad...   Funny but sad... Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2008, 9:24 pm

I used to play that game...I' m glad I quit. When you play a game where you pay to play, it feels like you get more for your money the more you play. So if you play a lot it makes you feel that you didn't waste money(or for me it was anyway) and all those stories were scary. I heard that there was this one guy who got grounded from wow so he ran away from home and played it at this internet cafe all day everyday for a week or so and then he died. There's a lot of people that died...like this girl http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-11/01/content_3714003.htm

very scary
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Funny but sad... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny but sad...   Funny but sad... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Funny but sad...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Requiem :: General :: General Topics-
Jump to: